About Waitara Alive
Waitara Alive is an Incorporated Society (2587882) with Charitable Status (CC50405).
Below is an outline of the new strategic plan 2017-2020. We have based these strategies on an ‘Asset Based Community Development’ (ABCD) framework. So, looking at the assets we have and further developing those, rather than using a ‘what’s missing?’ framework to develop plans for going forward.
Waitara, living the lives we value and have reason to value, a vibrant harmonious community for everybody – a town with ‘ECO TOWN’ aspirations.
Facilitating a cohesive community that is connected through initiatives, promotion and advocacy.
- Connecting – Hononga
- Wellbeing – Toiora
- Positive Growth – Whakatupu
- Environment – Taiao
Hononga, Connecting – Waitara Alive connects with and refers people to appropriate projects and organisations. All values are interconnected.
Toiora, Wellbeing – The people in this community feel actively engaged in shaping their own futures.
Whakatupu, Positive Growth – Advocate, on issues for the community, and facilitate sustainable beneficial population, economic, social and cultural growth.
Taiao, Environment – Working together to ensure sustainability and restoration of our natural resources at place.
“Everything is connected to everything else. There is one ecosphere for all living organisms and what affects one, affects all” – Barry Commoner (1971)
Waitara Alive, as a Community Development organisation has been around for about nine years in one form or another, initially as a reaction to some social issues in the town. However, it has since evolved and has a new strategy for growth and sustainability out to the year 2020 has been developed based on the above Vision, Mission and Values.
Projects & Goals
- Waitara Kaimoana Survey Project in Partnership with Otaraua Hapū (Environment)
- Newspaper Project- insert into North Taranaki Midweek, every two weeks (Connecting)
- Develop and implement Facebook and website then manage (Connecting)
- Host Taranaki TimeBank- Waitara branch (Wellbeing)
- It’s NOT okay campaign – with multiple other Waitara community groups (Wellbeing)
- Xmas in the Park event (All values)
- Community advocacy to local government
- Submission to Waitara Lands Bill (Positive Growth)
- Submission to Open Space Strategy (Wellbeing, Environment)
- Submission to Long Term Plan (All values)
- Submission to Funding investment Policy (All values)
- Submission to Central Government re Freshwater Consultation (Environment, Wellbeing)
- Development of a Social Enterprise (All Values)
- Attend North Taranaki Sport and Recreation Board meetings- The proposed new development at Clifton Park (All values)
If you would like to be involved in any of these projects, or would like to discuss ways that your group or club can become more active in the Community then drop us a line: Please see the contact us form, or phone, text, email or even drop in. You are always welcome!
Hononga, Connecting – Waitara Alive connects with and refers people to appropriate projects and organisations. All values are interconnected
Appropriate tools developed to connect with and inform our community
- Website- Pictures, information, event listings, newspaper online, project promotions
- Facebook- Pictures, notices, videos
Toiora, Wellbeing- The people in this community feel actively engaged in shaping their own futures
- Develop Social Enterprise
- Waitara Alive will work with all organisations and agencies in Waitara to facilitate social growth and wellbeing in our community
- Work with youth programmes in Waitara
Whakatupu, Positive Growth- Advocate, on issues for the community, and facilitate sustainable beneficial population, economic, social and cultural growth
- Re Initiate Signage project- Create an identity for the town and create welcoming signage into the town (closely linked to Blueprint development)
- Continue to write and advocate on behalf of the community via submissions to local, regional and national authorities that may impact on the town. 30 year blueprint
- Facilitate a ‘Town Growth Committee’ to work through issues and opportunities for town growth related to values
Taiao, Environment- Working together to ensure sustainability and restoration of our natural resources at place
- Work with local organisations and or individuals that share the 30 year blueprint ‘Eco-Town’ aspiration
- Successful completion of ‘Curious Minds’ pilot project leads to more environmental projects for community- Turn into annual project
- *Seek local partner organisations to support initiative. Work with NPDC, TRC MSD and any others (ie: hapu/Iwi) to facilitate a Social Enterprise programme that provides benefits and value for the individual and community
The benefits we obtain from our ecosystems; Supporting: nutrient cycling, soil formation and primary production, Provisioning: food, fresh water, wood, fibre, and fuel Regulating: climate regulation, flood and disease regulation, and water purification, Cultural: aesthetic, spiritual, educational and recreational.
CDA Report for AGM 2017https://waitaraalive.co.nz/v2/wp-content/uploads/CDA-report-for-AGM-2017.pdf